American Chris Kirk got off to a good start Friday with a 5-(-65) shot to take a one-shot lead at the midway point at the Sony Open on the US PGA Tour in Hawaii over compatriots Taylor Montgomery and JJ Spaun.
Kirk, who shared the overnight lead with Montgomery and three-time Grand Slam winner Jordan Spieth, opened with three birdies on the par-70 course at Waialae Country Club in Honolulu, Hawaii.
After a bogey on the sixth, he added three birdies, capping his round with a birdie on the par-5 18th hole for a total of 129 (-11).
Montgomery stayed in range with 130 (-10) and Spaun joined him with a 64 to also total 130 (-10).
But Spieth charged with a 75 (+5) after finishing with six bogeys, including four in a row from the eighth to the 11th hole.
The Argentine Augusto Muñoz was the best ranked Latin American in 22nd place while the Colombian Nico Echavarría did so in 58th.
Emiliano Grillo and Tano Goya, also from Argentina, did not make the cut on the second day.
– Results from Friday in the second round of the US PGA Tour Sony Open in Honolulu, Hawaii (Par-70):
1. Ch is Kirk (USA) 129 (64-65)
2. Taylor Montgomery (USA) 130 (64-66)
. JJ Spaun (USA) 130 (66-64)
4. Hayden Buckley (USA) 131 (67-64)
. David Lipsky (USA) 131 (65-66)
6. Ben Taylor (ENG) 132 (66-66)
. Austin Eckroat (USA) 132 (66-66)
. Kim Seong-hyeon (KOR) 132 (65-67)
9. Denny McCarthy (USA) 133 (65-68)
. Stephan Jaeger (GER) 133 (67-66)
. J.T. Poston (USA) 133 (67-66)
. Brendon Todd (USA) 133 (65-68)
. Ben Griffin (USA) 133 (65-68)
. Maverick McNealy (USA) 133 (66-67)
. Kevin Yu (TPE) 133 (67-66)
23. Augusto Muñoz (ARG) 135 (67-68)
58. Nico Echavarria (COL) 138 (69-69)