Federal Prosecutors Analyze Fake 2020 Voter Certifications

(CNN) — Federal prosecutors are reviewing the fake Electoral College certifications that declared former President Donald Trump the winner of the states he lost, Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco told CNN on Tuesday.

“We get those referrals. Our prosecutors are looking into them and I can’t say anything more about the ongoing investigations,” Monaco said in an exclusive interview.

Fake certificates declaring Trump’s victory were sent to the National Archives by Trump allies in mid-December 2020. They drew public scrutiny amid the House investigation into January 6, and specifically about the pressure campaign which sought to reverse Trump’s electoral defeat.

Monaco did not go into detail about what else prosecutors are looking into about the partisan attempt to subvert the 2020 vote count. He said more broadly, the Justice Department “will follow the facts and the law, wherever they lead, to address conduct of any kind and at any level that is part of an attack on our democracy.

Assault on Capitol Hill: Lawyer sees no good future for Trump 1:01

This is the first time the Justice Department has commented on requests by lawmakers and state officials to investigate the false certifications.

The certificates contain the signatures of Trump supporters who falsely claimed to be the legitimate voters in Georgia, Arizona, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Nevada and New Mexico, all states that President Joe Biden won. Some of the certificates were submitted by top officials representing the Republican Party in each state, according to the documents, which were obtained and made public by the watchdog group American Oversight.

See Also:  Yelich leads Brewers attack, beat Arizona

Threats and harassment of election officials

In his interview with CNN, Monaco also highlighted the efforts the Justice Department has made to address the threats and harassment election officials faced.

“I am concerned about the truly disturbing nature of the threats we have seen. They were disturbingly aggressive, violent and personal,” Monaco said. He pointed to an indictment filed by the Justice Department last week alleging a Texas man had threatened to kill Georgia election officials. The indictment was the first to be filed after the formation of a department task force focused on the issue.

“Those charges were the first to come out of that task force, but they won’t be the last,” Monaco said.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.