PHOENIX – Arizona’s largest cities and counties have received help for renters and homeowners affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, and now people in counties with smaller populations will receive help.
The Federal Consolidated Appropriation Act of 2021 authorizes the Department of Economic Security to help.
Beginning February 23, tenants and landlords in the 12 Arizona counties listed below can apply for the Emergency Rent Assistance Program:
- Santa Cruz
“The Arizona Department of Economic Security will authorize up to $ 3,500 per month for combined rent and utility assistance. Priority will be given to past due balances dating from March 2020. Future assistance will be authorized in three-month increments. Assistance is available for up to months. “
The DES website indicates that eligibility is based on the tenant’s address and ability to meet the following federal criteria:
The tenant is at risk of homelessness, housing instability, or unsafe living conditions demonstrated by the following:
- Eviction Notice, Utility Cutoff Notice, Overdue Rent Notice, Overdue Utility Notice. Any other evidence of unsafe or unsanitary living conditions or instability of the home.
- Eviction notice.
- Notice of suspension of public services.
- Notice of past due rent.
- Notice of expired utilities.
- Any other evidence of unsafe or unsanitary living conditions or instability of the home.
- The tenant or member of the tenant’s household is eligible for unemployment insurance benefits or has experienced financial difficulties as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The tenant’s household income is less than or equal to 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI)
How to apply for help
In des.az.gov/ERAP, the portal will be available online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Applicants can apply and check the status of their application on the website.
During the application process, tenants will need to provide:
- Copy or lease / rental contract
- Photo identification
- Electricity and / or gas bill
- Disconnection notice (if any)
- Admission Test
- Notice of Eviction (if applicable)
- Proof of hardship, such as a dismissal letter