In the state of Florida, as throughout the country, it is illegal to drive without a license. Therefore, when it has been lost or stolenit is extremely important to request a replacement as soon as possible with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV). Although it is not mandatory, this state agency in charge of granting driving privileges also recommends that people who experience this type of situation report the fact to the authorities simultaneously.
In that way, drivers can avoid being at risk of committing a violation by driving without the required identification and they also avoid the risk of being a victim of one of the most common crimes in the United States: identity theft.
How to get a replacement driver’s license in the state of Florida?
In cases of loss of a driver’s license, the FLHSMV does not consider a police report as necessary. However, in cases of theft, it is highly recommended to guard against identity theft.. This report is also often beneficial because in the state of Florida people who report a stolen driver’s license to the police get a free replacement.
The process for requesting a replacement—for both lost and stolen licenses—is generally the same and can be done in two ways:
Is modality is the most recommended for those drivers who lost their license. It can be done through GoRenew.com, which is the FLHSMV website available for this type of online procedure. The steps to follow are those:
1. Visit GoRenew.com.
2. Select the number that will be used to track the identification data on file: driver’s license number, license plate number, or vehicle identification number (VIN).
3. Provide date of birth and last four digits of Social Security number.
4. Pay an appropriate fee: $25 if the license has been lost or damaged. In the case of stolen licenses, it is enough to show the police report so that the process does not have any cost.
After the process, the applicant must wait for the license to arrive in about two weeks at his postal address.
This modality is the most recommended for anyone who needs a replacement for their license because, although it implies some more requirements, it implies the delivery of the document immediately. The steps to follow are those:
1. Schedule Appointment at a local FLHSMV office.
2. Present: 1 document that serves as proof of identity, 1 document that serves as proof of Social Security Number (SSN), 2 documents that serves as proof of residence address.
3. If the applicant has legally changed their name, a document that proves it.
4. Pay the applicable fee: $25 for license replacement and $6.25 for use of the office. In cases of theft, these fees will be waived.
After carrying out the procedure, the FLHSMV will provide the applicant with the duplicate driver’s license immediately.
You may also like:
– Step by Step: How to Apply for a Real ID Driver’s License in New York
– How possible is it to get a driver’s license in Texas if you are undocumented?
– How to subscribe to the TEENS system in New York, to monitor how your teenager drives