Strong warning to Australians to stock up on food and supplies before the corona virus becomes a pandemic

Australians need to stock up on food and supplies before the spread of the deadly coronavirus becomes a global pandemic and stocks of essential goods run low, a survival expert warned.

While the vast majority of China’s 80,000 infections have occurred, 37 people in South Korea, Italy and Iran died last week when new hot spots for COVID-19 appeared.

One of Australia’s leading survivors said buyers in the country should restock their weekly shop before the virus spreads to a food shortage.

A Chinese couple in protective masks and plastic coats shop in Beijing on February 11th. A survival expert said buyers in Australia should start preparing their cabinets for a food shortage

“We should always be prepared for food shortages – not just because of corona viruses, but also because of accidents, extreme weather conditions and blackouts that keep us from getting supplies,” West Australian survival teacher Bob Cooper told Daily Mail Australia on Wednesday.

In Italian cities at the center of the country’s outbreak in the northern regions of Veneto and Lombardy, shelves have already been emptied and stored by panicked buyers.

Mr. Cooper said it was too early to panic, but Australians should think about whether their food cabinets can support them if the supply chain is broken.

“You have to think about things that have a long shelf life: dried fruit, dried food, cereals, pasta also last a long time,” he said.

“You can also make your own bread with flour packages.”

The survival expert said buyers should prioritize vegetables over protein, as the former should make up 80 percent of our diet.

Empty shelves are pictured in a supermarket near Milan in the Veneto region of Italy, which is infested with coronaviruses. Survival teacher Bob Cooper warned of panic buying, but said the Australians should start buying certain dried foods

Empty shelves are pictured in a supermarket near Milan in the Veneto region of Italy, which is infested with coronaviruses. Survival teacher Bob Cooper warned of panic buying, but said the Australians should start buying certain dried foods

FOOD AND HOUSEHOLD ITEMS FOR A PANDEMIC

Additional prescription drugs, inhalers for asthma relief

Over-the-counter medication for fever and pain

Feminine hygiene products

Family pack of toilet paper

vitamins

Hand massage containing alcohol

Household cleaners and soap

Handkerchiefs, paper towel

Cereals, cereals, beans, lentils, pasta

Preserves – fish, vegetables, fruit

Oil, spices and aromas

Dried fruits and nuts

Ultra heat treated or powdered milk

Refreshing drink or candy / chocolate for treats

Pet food and care

Source: Virology Down Under by the University of Queensland virologist, Dr. Ian Mackay and Dr. Katherine Arden

“Things like root vegetables can be sun dried and rehydrated and last up to six months. I also tested it on bananas and fish, ”he said.

Mr. Cooper said it is more important than food to maintain the supply of their own drinking water if the supply becomes scarce.

“Nobody will die of hunger – it could be difficult – but that should be the least of your priorities,” he said. “However, you must have your own water supply.”

Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy (pictured) said the Australian government is preparing for the spread of the coronavirus

Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy (pictured) said the Australian government is preparing for the spread of the coronavirus

The University of Queensland virology expert Ian Mackay has also compiled a thorough list of articles that Australians should keep in a box labeled “Pandemic Stock”.

In addition to food, the list also includes feminine hygiene products, over-the-counter medicines, toilet paper and pet food, if necessary.

The Australian government is preparing a contingency plan in the event that the spread turns into a pandemic – a development announced by the World Health Organization.

“Every part of the health care system is now working on its plan so that we are ready as things develop in the future,” said Brendan Murphy, chief medical officer.

The Australian federal sports minister warned that the nation’s athletes could be excluded from the Tokyo Olympics in July as the corona virus continues to spread worldwide.

“Australian athletes are ready to make a name for themselves at the Tokyo Olympics – but it shouldn’t put their health and wellbeing at risk,” said Sports Secretary Richard Colbeck.

“We continue to work with the relevant authorities here and overseas to ensure that our athletes remain safe and protected while the response to the coronavirus continues.”

Australian athletes can also individually decide whether they want to compete in Tokyo.

The virus infected 80,000 - including 690 passengers on board the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan. The picture shows passengers who leave the ship on February 21 after a two-week quarantine

The virus infected 80,000 – including 690 passengers on board the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan. The picture shows passengers who leave the ship on February 21 after a two-week quarantine

Government chief physician Professor Brendan Murphy said it is unclear how safe Japan would be for those traveling to the games at the time.

“We still haven’t seen the full impact of the diamond princess’s outbreak – we’re doing an impact assessment every day,” he said.

The government’s worrying comments follow the President of the Australian Olympic Committee, John Coates, who said last week that the organizers had found no reason to postpone or cancel the games.

Last week it turned out that seven people had died and 229 were infected in Italy after the virus broke out.

A third Victorian passenger on the Diamond Princess cruise ship tested COVID-19 and increased the total number of cases to seven, Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton confirmed.

The trio was returned to Victoria and is recovering in isolation.

Four people who previously tested positive for the virus in Victoria have recovered, the state health agency said.

CORONAVIRUS CASES IN AUSTRALIA

NEW SOUTH WHALES: 4

January 25th

  • It has been confirmed that three men, 43, 53 and 35 years of age, who recently traveled to China have contracted the disease.
  • Two flew in from Wuhan while the other came to Sydney from Shenzhen, south China.
  • They were treated in isolation at Westmead Hospital

January 27th

  • A 21-year-old woman is identified as the fourth person to test positive for the disease in NSW.
  • The woman, a UNSW student, flew to Sydney International Airport on flight MU749 on January 23 and was taken to the emergency room 24 hours later after developing flu-like symptoms.

VICTORIA: 7

January 25th

  • A Chinese citizen aged 50 will be the first confirmed case of the coronavirus in Australia.
  • The man flew China Southern flight CZ321 from Wuhan via Guangzhou to Melbourne on January 19.
  • He was quarantined at Monash Hospital in Clayton, east Melbourne.

January 29th

  • Coronavirus is diagnosed in a Victorian man in his sixties.
  • He became ill on January 23, two days after his return from the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak.
  • The man was confirmed positive on January 29 and then seen by doctors at the Monash Medical Center.

January 30th

  • A coronavirus is found in a woman in her forties.
  • She was visiting from China and mostly spent time with her family.
  • She is being treated at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

February 1st

  • A woman in her twenties in Melbourne has the virus

February 22

  • Two passengers from the Diamond Princess cruise ship test positive
  • Third passenger starts the cruise ship tests positively

QUEENSLAND: 8

January 29th

  • Queensland confirms its first case after being diagnosed with a 44-year-old Chinese citizen. He is being treated at the Gold Coast University Hospital.

January 30th

  • A 42-year-old Chinese woman who was in the same Wuhan tour group as the 44-year-old man tested positive. She is in a stable condition at the Gold Coast University Hospital.

February 4th

  • A coronavirus was diagnosed in an eight-year-old boy. He is also from the tour group that the other Queensland cases came from

February 5th

  • The case was found in a 37-year-old man who was a member of a group of nine Chinese tourists who were quarantined on the Gold Coast

February 6th

  • A 37-year-old woman was diagnosed with coronavirus from the same tour group that flew from Melbourne to Queensland on January 27

21st of February

  • Two Queensland women aged 54 and 55 years tested positive for COVID-19 and flown to Brisbane for further treatment.
  • A 57-year-old woman from Queensland also tested positive for the virus

SOUTH AUSTRALIA: 3

February 1st

  • A Chinese couple in their sixties who came to Adelaide from Wuhan to visit relatives has been shown to have a corona virus.
  • A 24-year-old woman from South Australia was brought to the Royal Adelaide Hospital

WEST AUSTRALIA: 1

21st of February

  • A 78-year-old man from Western Australia was brought to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in Perth

JAPAN / DARWIN: 22

  • Fifteen Australians were among 219 confirmed cases of the coronavirus that was diseased on board the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Yokohama.
  • Seven passengers aboard the Diamond Princess were tested positive for the corona virus upon arrival at the Manigurr-ma Village Howard Springs facility in Darwin

,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.