Why do high levels of perfluorooctanoic acid prevent the consumption of water near the Luke airbase? – Telemundo Phoenix / Tucson

ARIZONA- Hundreds of people who live next door to Luke Air Force Base in Glendale will have to drink bottled water for at least a month after authorities detected toxic chemicals.

At least one of the water samples from the Valley Utilities wells exceeded the allowed levels of Perfluorooctanoic Acid (PFOA) and Perfluorooctane Sulfonate (PFOS), according to a statement from Luke Air Force Base.

Because of this finding, Luke Air Force Base is providing bottled water to residents and businesses. To know more about the distribution and schedules here

Both perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl (PFAS) substances have been manufactured and used in a variety of industries around the world, they are highly persistent in the environment and in the human body; In other words, they do not degrade and can accumulate over time. There is evidence that exposure to PFAS can cause harmful effects to human health, according to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Substances can be found in:

  • Food packed in materials processed with equipment that used PFAS, or grown in soil or water contaminated with PFAS.
  • Commercial household products, such as stain and water repellent fabrics, non-stick products (such as Teflon), polishing compounds, waxes, paints, cleaners, and fire fighting foams (a major source of groundwater contamination in airports and military bases where firefighting training takes place).
  • Work places, such as production plants or industries (eg chrome plating, electronics manufacturing, or oil recovery).
  • Drinking water, commonly located and associated with a specific facility (eg, manufacturer, landfill, wastewater treatment plant, firefighter training center).
  • Living organismssuch as fish, animals, and humans, where substances can accumulate and persist over time.
See Also:  Radio Havana Cuba | Arizona has become a great graveyard for victims of the pandemic

EPA Recommendations for Drinking Water Systems:

If the results of water samples confirm that drinking water contains PFAS in individual or combined concentrations greater than 70 parts per billion, water systems must promptly notify their State Drinking Water Safety Agency (or EPA at jurisdictions where EPA is the primary drinking water safety agency) and check with the appropriate agency for the best method for taking additional samples.

The notice should also identify options that consumers can consider to reduce risk, such as finding an alternative source of drinking water or, in the case of parents giving their babies formula, using a formula that does not require the addition. of water.

There are several options available for drinking water systems to lower the concentrations of PFAS in the drinking water supply. In some communities, entities have provided bottled water to consumers while completing steps to reduce or eliminate such substances from drinking water, or to establish a new water source.

How do I know if there are elevated levels of PFAS in my drinking water supply?

Customers using a public water system can contact their local water supplier and ask for information. The most recent Consumer Confidence Report can be obtained from your drinking water utility, by visiting their website, or by contacting them to request a copy. Some public water systems upload their Consumer Confidence Report to the EPA website at: http://www.epa.gov/ccr . For information on private wells, visit: http://www.epa.gov/privatewells .

Also, if your public water system participated in the collection of monitoring data, you can find information about your system at: https://www.epa.gov/dwucmr/occurrence-data-unregulated-contaminant-monitoring-rule#3

See Also:  What is consular registration in Arizona for and what is it for? - Telemundo Phoenix / Tucson

¿Where can i get more information?

For more information contact the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Division of Toxicology and Human Health Sciences, 1600 Clifton Road, NE; Mstop F-57; Atlanta, GA 30329-4027.
Phone: 1-800-232-4636, ToxFAQsTM on the Internet: www.atsdr.cdc.gov/ToxFAQs


Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.